S.J. Shrubsole Corp.

Founded in London in 1912, S.J. Shrubsole opened a New York branch in 1936, under the direction of Eric N. Shrubsole. Mr. Shrubsole spent that year driving a black Packard, laden with silver and letters of introduction, to virtually every major city in America. By the time he returned a year later, he had lain the foundations for what would become one of America’s finest antique shops.

 

Since then, we have worked with some of the world’s greatest collectors, from the serious, such as Irwin Untermyer and H.F. duPont, to the compulsive, such as Arthur Gilbert and William Randolph Hearst, to the compulsively unserious, such as Groucho Marx, who on being told that everything in the shop was antique and English, pointed his cigar at our porter and asked “even him?”

 

We have handled some of the greatest pieces in the world: the Sutherland Wine Cistern in the Minneapolis Institute of Art, the Ashburnham Centerpiece in the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Elizabethan Ewer and Basin in the Boston MFA were all bought and sold by us and represent a tiny portion of the great treasures that pass through our shop. Our expertise and enthusiasm are unmatched, and museums and collectors all over the world turn to us for advice, opinions, and valuations.

 

Finally, we pride ourselves on customer service, and on helping people with items large and small. If you are looking for a gift for $500, or a major piece of silver for a couple of million, you’re in the right place.


Fred Moheban Gallery

The Fred Moheban Gallery is a fine purveyor of antique rugs and carpets. Whether called antique Persian carpets or rugs, silk Persians, Heriz Persians, antique Oriental or antique European carpets – the most prized floor weavings in the world go by a variety of similar names. For over 50 years, our passion has been to find the rare antique rug or carpet that connotes the true artist, sometimes in those pieces that signify universal beauty through a grand palace-sized carpet, a room-sized jewel, or even a small prayer rug.

 

Our collection of antique rugs and carpets spans the great weaving traditions of the 18th and 19th centuries and includes: from Persia, Heriz, Kashan, Sarouk, Serapi, Sultanabad and Tabriz; from Turkey, Oushak; from France, Aubusson and Savonnerie; from India, Agra and Amritsar; and from the Caucasus and Bessarabia.

 

Since antique Oriental rugs and carpets first began to appear in the paintings of great Renaissance artists such as Holbein, they have been used to simultaneously furnish a room with beauty, variety and warmth, while indicating status and wealth on the part of the owner. Through the years their longevity has accorded them recognition as a sound financial investment; consequently antique rugs and carpets are sought out by high end designers and architects throughout the world. Because of our dedication to quality and integrity in antique rugs and carpets we have been awarded membership in the prestigious National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America. As the only antique rug and carpet dealer in the association, we are proud to uphold the association’s tradition of scholarship, provenance, authenticity, and condition. The association was founded in 1954 and its members have become the recognized authorities in their fields. We aspire to give the designers, decorators, collectors and architects that form our clientele the original design and rarity that they seek in an antique rug or carpet, whether it be tribal or made for the Western market. If it is for a hip young designer doing a loft in Soho or a collector in Rome, we try to find the work that will enhance the architecture of a home or place of business, bring the excitement of artistry and tradition into a modern ambiance, reveal the personality of the owner, or round out a collection.

 

We have sent antique rugs and carpets to various points around the globe. Please go through our selection of antique rugs and carpets. We pride ourselves on our service and would love to help you.

 

Sincerely,
Fred and Rami Moheban


Cora Ginsburg

As a collector and dealer, the name Cora Ginsburg has been associated with fine and rare costume and antique textiles since the 1940s.

 

Founded in 1971, the company specializes in museum quality antique costume of the 18th and 19th centuries and in European embroideries, silks, and printed textiles of the 17th – 20th centuries. Owner and director Titi Halle has been with the gallery since 1981.

 

Cora Ginsburg LLC collects, consults, and appraises for museums and private collectors in North and South America, Europe and Asia.

 

Titi Halle
In 1979, Titi Halle met the renowned Cora Ginsburg; Ms. Halle became director of the business in 1985 and the owner in 1997. She is a member of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America, the Centre International d’Etude des Textiles Anciens, the Costume Society of America, the Textile Society of America, and CINOA. Ms. Halle has participated as a textile expert on the Antiques Road Show, now in its fifteenth season.

 

Ms. Halle has lectured at the Textile Museum, Washington D.C., the Detroit Institute of Art, the Annual Colonial Williamsburg Antiques Forum, Sotheby’s Institute and at various other museums and historical societies across the United States. She serves on the Textile Vetting Committees for numerous fairs including the Olympia Fine Art and Antiques Fair in London, The European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht, the Netherlands, and the International Fine Art and Antiques Fair and The Winter Antiques Show in New York. For the past 15 years, Ms. Halle has organized and published the annual catalogue for Cora Ginsburg LLC, focusing on rare costume, textiles and needlework. In January 2010, The Magazine Antiques featured a dealer profile of Ms. Halle; Cora Ginsburg LLC and Ms. Halle were also the subject of a column in the Antiques section of the New York Times, January 21, 2010.


Joan B. Mirviss Ltd.

Specializing in Japanese fine art for over thirty-five years, Joan B Mirviss LTD features Japanese screens and scrolls, woodblock prints (ukiyo-e), and modern and contemporary Japanese ceramics in its Madison Avenue Gallery. Joan B Mirviss LTD will continue to bring audiences in New York, around the country and abroad the very best in Japanese fine art, featuring solo shows by important ceramists and exhibitions of antique woodblock prints. As always, you will find us at the Winter Antiques Show, the preeminent art and antiques fair in the country where we have exhibited as the leading dealer of Japanese art for thirty years, as well as SOFA NY, one of the most important and popular art fairs to present the works of leading and emerging artists in contemporary decorative arts and design.


Ralph M. Chait Galleries, Inc.

The Ralph M. Chait Galleries is the oldest specialist gallery in the United States in the field of fine antique Chinese porcelain and works of art.  When Ralph M. Chait entered this field in 1910 he was a young man of 18 years, new to this country from London, and new to the field of Chinese art.  Undaunted and with a remarkable intellect and innate sense of taste and quality, he taught himself and quickly became a knowledgeable, respected, and trusted dealer and authority in the field.

 

With an impeccable eye for quality and connoisseurship, Ralph soon counted among his clients some of the most important collectors of the day including John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Edward Sonnenschein, and Yale Kneeland.  Over time, his clientele expanded to include many other major collectors including President Herbert Hoover, Sen. Theodore Francis Green (Rhode Island), Sen. Hugh Scott (Pennsylvania), Rep. Clark W. Thompson (Texas), Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, Sir Percival David, Avery Brundage, Winston Guest, Robert and Beatrice Mayer, and Ira Koger.. The gallery’s clientele today continues to include some of the most prominent collectors worldwide.

 

This history is also apparent on the wall of photographs in our Library of some of our clients (including some well known collectors) mostly from the 1950’s and 60’s- and at the table in the center of the room.  This table is where we sit with clients to examine and discuss pieces.  It has been with is from our early days.  It is remarkable to consider the variety of collectors- from artists, political figures, executives, scholars, and connoisseurs- who have sat there.   While many of these collectors represented a variety of backgrounds and callings, it is interesting to see their convergence in this one place, drawn by their appreciation and interest in antique Chinese art.

 

Over the years, the gallery has sold pieces to many major museums including: the Metropolitan Museum of Art; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; the Freer Gallery; the Asian Art Museum, San Francisco; the Los Angeles Country Museum; the St. Louis Art Museum; the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Baltimore Museum of Art; the Norton Museum of Art; the Sackler Gallery; and the Peabody Essex Museum.

 

The gallery has also worked with many major architects, decorators, and designers including Frank Lloyd Wright, Jay Spectre, Sister Parish, Albert Hadley, Ted Graber, Mark Hampton, Mario Buatta, Peter Marino, Elissa Cullman, and Parkin Saunders.

 

The gallery has for decades many prestigious antiques fairs in the United States, including today the Winter Antiques Show, the Philadelphia Antiques and Art  Show, the Delaware Antiques Show, and the Nantucket Summer Antiques Show.

 

The gallery was also a founding member of the National Antiques and Art Dealers Association of America (member of CINOA), and members of the firm have serves as Officers and President of the organization.

 

One hundred nine years in business is an extraordinary accomplishment for a firm, particularly remaining within one family.  As a three-generation family business we are cognizant of and steeped in its past but always are looking ahead.  The gallery has witnessed a tremendous amount of history in its field.  It has also weathered a remarkable variety of world and economic conditions.  Throughout this time, it has maintained and enhanced its reputation as experts in the field and as an extraordinary purveyor of fine antique Chinese art to private and museum collectors throughout the world.  The gallery today is owned and run by Steven and Andrew Chait.  We are profoundly grateful to our grandfather and founder, Ralph M. Chait; and our father, Allan Chait and our aunt, Marion Chait Howe, in whose footsteps we now walk as we continue forward to the illustrious years ahead.


Blumka Gallery

Blumka Gallery is a fourth generation firm specializing in Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque works of art including enamel, furniture, ceramics, metalwork, paintings, and sculpture in stone, wood and terracotta. Since 1938 the gallery has had several locations in Manhattan, and now rests on East 72nd Street.

Over the years Blumka Gallery has been responsible, through both sales and donations, for the development and enrichment of public and private collections in America and Europe. The Blumkas played a prominent role in enhancing the Bondy, Brummer, Linsky, and Untermeyer collections. They have also expanded those of public institutions, such as The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; The Detroit Institute of Arts; The Frick Collection; The J.Paul Getty Museum; The Metropolitan Museum of Art; The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich; The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna; and the Louvre.

Blumka Gallery participates in world-class fairs such as Munich Highlights in the Autumn and The European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht every Spring. In addition, Blumka Gallery is partnered with Julius Böhler Kunsthandlung of Starnberg, Germany, a firm in its fifth generation of operation and which houses the Blumka’s collection of ivories.

Tony Blumka is a Past President and Honorary Member of the Art and Antique Dealers League of America, and is on the Board of Directors of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America. He is a member in good standing of the Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Œvres d’Art, and was also knighted by the French Government Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.


Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz

Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz has dealt privately and served as art consultant to corporations, collectors and designers for over twenty-five years, in the field of European Decorative Arts of the XIX and XX century, sharing her time between Paris and New York.

Within this field, Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz’ expertise is French Antique Wallpapers from the late XVIII century to the Art Deco period. Carolle Thibaut Pomerantz has pioneered the rediscovery of this unique art form within the decorative arts. Today many of these wallpaper panels hang in important private and public collections, such as the Chicago Art Institute, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Metropolitan Museum in New York, as well as the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris.

The galleries in Paris and New York are open by appointment only.

Lecturer and Appraiser of French Antique Wallpapers, MFA, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University.
Member of the Syndicat National des Antiquaires, France.
Member of the Compagnie Nationale des Experts, France.
Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz has exhibited at the following antique shows:

Biennale des Antiquaires, Paris.
Pavillon des Antiquaires, Paris.
Palm Beach International Art and Antique Fair.
International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show, New York.
International 20th Century Arts Fair, New York.
Winter Antiques Show, New York.
Salon de Mars, Geneva.
Modernism, New York.
San Francisco Antiques Show.
TEFAF, Maastricht.


The Old Print Shop, Inc.

The Old Print Shop, Inc – founded in 1898 – is an art gallery specializing in American graphic arts, antiquarian maps, atlases, artist books (livres d’artist), and art reference books.

 

The shop has an extensive inventory with very strong holdings of American historical prints, Currier & Ives, John James Audubon, American town views, and maps published before 1850. Our inventory of American fine art prints 1900-1950 is one of the largest in the United States . We represent a number of famous artists’ estates and over seventy contemporary printmakers.

 

The gallery has been in the same location in mid-town Manhattan since 1925 and is one of the oldest family run art galleries in the United States . Since our inception in 1898, we have focused on the graphic arts – artists that use printmaking as an expressive medium. Prints, as they are called in the industry, have been collected by individuals and museums since the fifteenth-century when Albrecht Durer began making prints. Most museums have holdings of prints. In the United States the Library of Congress has the largest public collection. However, the Amon Carter Museum , The Art Institute of Chicago, Boston Athenaeum, Boston Public Library, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art , New-York Historical Society, and New York Public Library also have extensive collections that are available for viewing by the public.

 

In 2007 the shop purchased The Old Print Gallery in Washington , DC . The gallery is located in historic Georgetown just off M Street. The address is 1220 31st Street NW , Washington , DC 20007 , telephone 202-965-1818 . In the Washington gallery there is a fine selection of American art between 1750 and 1950 and a good selection of contemporary printmakers, as well as a fine selection of antique maps.

 

The shop encourages you to search our on-line inventory and/or to visit the gallery during your next visit to New York City or Washington , DC . The online inventory can be searched in several ways. The easiest way is by selecting a category pictured above or on the left navigation bar and then selecting a sub-category. You can also use our search feature located at the top of every page. Type in an artist/cartographer’s name, subject, location, or a key word and the items in inventory will come up.

 

The gallery is a proud member of the following professional and trade organizations:
The International Fine Print Dealers Association (IFPDA)
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA)
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
The International Map Collectors’ Society (IMCOS)
The National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America (NAADAA)
Confédération Internationale des Négotiants en Oeuvres d’Art (CINOA)
The Ephemera Society of America
American Historical Print Collectors Society


Nesle Inc.

Nesle Inc. was founded in 1936 by Albert and Coila Nesle. For years its marble facade
and sparkling window have attracted collectors and borrowers interested in period lighting.
The hundreds of chandeliers, wall fixtures and candelabra on display illustrate the major
design periods of France, England, Italy, Austria, Russia and the Scandinavian countries.

 

Distinguishing characteristics of country and style are visible in the crystal, gold
bronze, wrought iron and porcelain fixtures. Works by leading craftsmen and manufacturers
of the 18th and 19th centuries such as Perry, Thomire, Hope, Baccarat, Osler and Barbedienne
are often present.

 

The firm’s founder, the late Albert Nesle, and president, Nancy Nesle, have, for
years, traveled the world over in order to assemble this outstanding collection of antique
lighting fixtures. Their dedication to quality and flawless taste has been enthusiastically
shared with museums, curators, restoration committees and private collectors throughout
the world.

 

Many years ago, recognizing that demand would surpass the supply of antique
lighting fixtures, the Nesles carefully selected examples of the various periods and styles
for reproduction. These fixtures are still made by European craftsmen using age-old methods
and carefully monitored to insure they meet the high quality standards demanded by Nesle.


Lillian Nassau LLC

Lillian Nassau LLC, world-renown specialists in Tiffany Studios lamps, Tiffany Studios favrile glass, Tiffany Studios favrile pottery, Tiffany Studios mosaics, Tiffany Studios windows, Tiffany Studios desk pieces and Louis C. Tiffany paintings celebrates over 65 years in the business. Acquired in October, 2006, by long-time Managing Director, Arlie Sulka, Lillian Nassau LLC continues to dominate the field with its expertise and scholarship in Tiffany Studios, advising the most prestigious museums and collectors world-wide. Under the direction of Arlie Sulka, the gallery has mounted numerous groundbreaking exhibitions and published two definitive books on Tiffany favrile glass and pottery by Dr. Martin Eidelberg.

 

Adding to Lillian Nassau’s specialization in the work of Tiffany Studios and Louis Comfort Tiffany is Gallery Director Eric Silver’s expertise in American sculpture and Art Nouveau decorative arts, other areas for which Lillian Nassau LLC is known. Both Arlie Sulka and Eric Silver have been seen on the PBS Antiques Roadshow and are looking forward to participating in the upcoming 16th season.

 

Lillian Nassau opened her antiques shop in 1945 in New York City on Third Avenue between 54th and 55th streets, specializing in 18th and 19th Century porcelain, glass and objets d’art. In the 1950’s she became increasingly interested in the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau period and was especially fascinated by work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios. It wasn’t long until her inventory changed and she became recognized as the premier expert in the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios.

 

Almost single-handedly credited with reviving the interest in the work of Louis C. Tiffany, Mrs. Nassau surrounded herself with trend setting collectors who shared her passion. Among them were Walter Chrysler and Joseph Heil, who gave generously to the Museum of Modern Art, Ed Wormley, the prominent furniture designer, and Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., whose family commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to build their legendary home “Falling Water.” In retrospect, it is difficult to believe that this now popular era of decorative arts had been forgotten.

 

Since little had been written about this period, Mrs. Nassau compiled a comprehensive research library that contained primary source material and included contemporary magazines, books catalogues and brochures. She shared her library and knowledge with these early collectors and museum curators.

 

As a willing lender to early museum exhibitions, Mrs. Nassau encouraged her clients to do the same. Her association with curators paved the way for two early exhibitions of Art Nouveau and Tiffany, the first held at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in 1958 and the second, the seminal show at the Museum of Modern Art in 1960. Upholding that tradition, the gallery has continued to loan to museum exhibitions, most recently to “Tiffany Glass: A Passion for Colour” which opened at the Musée de Luxembourg in Paris, France, traveled to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Montreal, Canada and then closed at the Virginia Museum of Art in Richmond, Virgina. Other recent loans include the Shelburne Museum, New York Historical Society in New York City, the Carnegie Museum of Art, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Toledo Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and the National Gallery in Washington D.C. Mrs. Nassau was the generous donor of the magnificent Tiffany Studios mosaic fountain that is permanently on view in the Sculpture Garden of the American Wing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and she also presented the Metropolitan with a breathtaking necklace by Rene Lalique.

 

In 1967 the gallery moved to its present location at 220 East 57 Street. Although Mrs. Nassau was approaching the typical age of retirement, she was building momentum as the driving force behind the revival of the works by Tiffany and the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods. Celebrity collectors, including members of the Beatles, as well as Led Zeppelin, Catherine Deneuve, Barbra Streisand, Andy Warhol, and other leading pop culture personalities became clients and seized the opportunity to share in Mrs. Nassau’s expertise while major museums throughout the United States and Europe steadily made major acquisitions from the gallery.

 

With over thirty years of experience working for Mrs. Nassau and her son, Paul, current owner Arlie Sulka is now considered one of the foremost experts on Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios, maintaining the gallery’s world-renowned status. Ms. Sulka maintains enduring professional relationships with private clients and regularly advises leading museum curators from around the world.

 

Under Ms. Sulka’s guidance, the gallery has mounted a series of landmark exhibitions concentrating on the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios including the lamps, blown glass and mosaics.